Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Bluenose II back in port - or is it

The rebuilt Bluenose II arrived in Halifax for a two day visit. After many controversies and a very large bill, it was comforting to see the schooner again - or at least the parts of it that I had seen before.

 The bell, the wheel, and a few other components date from the original construction of 1963.

Most of what I see is new however, and I must say I was underwhelmed by the quality of the work I did see. On close inspection, there was a lot of work to do to put the boat into what I would call "pusser" condition.


Some very rough and knotted planks, some open seams above the waterline and other details leave me less than impressed by the end result. The heavily varnished main deck must be a terror when wet. I wonder how soon it will have to be sanded down to bare wood and redone. I give it a year.

My opinion is that a cosmetic overhaul is needed already.

It was unfortunate that the spectacular ketch Whitehawk was tied up a few yards away. Built to the highest standard of yacht construction, with apparently no expense spared, the magnificent vessel was perhaps an impossible model to emulate, but it shows what can be done with care and attention.








Check oiut this site for more on the Whitehawk.
http://www.nshof.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=762:whitehawk-105-bruce-king-custom-ketch&catid=173:visiting-boats&Itemid=271


To be celebrated however is the graceful shear of Bluenose II.


In its last years, the unrebuilt Bluenose II had lost that lovely curve due to hogging. I can't wait to get another comparable photo under sail.

This 2006 photo shows how the schooner's hull had hogged over the years.

Caution Crabby Postscript:
A tip to the crew, most of whom were indifferent to the visitors like me traipsing around on the deck. They, like many in the Nova Scotia hospitality business ought to get some sensitivity training in how to at least appear pleased to be there, rather than giving the appearance of  enduring another day when they would rather be sailing.

.

1 comment:

  1. Well Mac, at least you've lived long enough to see Bluenose 2.2 afloat at Halifax!

    ReplyDelete