Melfi Lines was represented this morning by the container ship Helen J, flying the flag of Antigua and Barbuda. The German owned ship has changed names eleven times since it was built in 1997 by MTW, Wismar. This is its first trip for Melfi, and its first call in Halifax.
With tugs made fast, the ship begins to turn, and makes the first of several very black clouds of smoke.
Helen J nears pier 42, Halterm.
Measuring 18,233 grt, 26,375 dwt it has a capacity of 1900 TEU (including 310 reefers) and carries three 45 tonne cranes.