Sunday, October 10, 2010

Thank you Sir Sam

1. Queen Mary 2 steams in from sea.

2. Swinging around north of George's Island.

3. The mandatory bow shot.

4. Lining up for pier 22.

Thanks to a very late arrival I was treated to Queen Mary 2 with the sun behind me instead of behind the ship as it would be for an early morning arrival.
The ship passed the pilot station at noon, instead of the usual 0600, after assisting in a vessel in distress.[see update below]

The magnificent ship draws crowds as no other. Some day she will be as popular as Queen Elizabeh 2, but she will have to share the limelight with the Queen Victoria and the new Queen Elizabeth.

It is wonderful to think that Halifax native Sir Samuel Cunard's name lives on through the heyday of steamships to the depth of the decline, when QE2 was the sole transatlantic liner left, to the now growing fleet of Cunarders (owned by Carnival.)

QM2 made a wonderful sight as she steamed in from sea, with some speed still on, then swung majestically around George's Island for the mandatory bow on shot! She also gave whistle signals each time she changed course- which she did without the aid of tugs- thanks to three bow thrusters. The thrusters are very quiet compared to cargo ships, and there was hardly a sound to be heard.

As compared to last year, her hull paint looks even and consistent - no patches - but her tremendous horns were a little asthmatic.

This is her third visit this year, and she scheduled to close out the cruise season for this port on October 30.
Update: details later emerged on the reason for the delay. At about 2200 hrs ADT last night QM2 diverted from her course at the request of the Rescue Coordination Centre in Halifax. A small US pleasure craft caled Santa Lucia had lost power 90 km west of Yarmouth and QM2 was the nearest ship. Unbeknowst to the passengers, QM2 changed course and at about 0045hrs ADT today she reached the craft, which was also taking some water. I am assuming QM2 formed a lee for the boat (QM2 forms a multi-storey wall which would blank off much of the wind and calm the seas.) The pleasure craft was able to restore power and CCGS Edward Cornwallis [see yesterdays's post] reached the scene at about 0400 ADT and escorted the so far not named craft to Yarmouth.
QM2 resumed her voyage and passengers were informed over breakfast that the ship had assisted in the mission. A CBC radio report stated that the big ship was "rocking" - they meant rolling- and some passengers were thrown from their beds.
This would not be surprising since stabilizers really only work well when the ship is steaming. When stopped, particularly if it is trying to create a lee and maintain position, it will certainly pitch and definitely roll with the seas.

No comments:

Post a Comment